Tuesday, September 05, 2006

the store

i just got my new backpack the other day, along with new hiking shoes, tent and one awesome stove. a funny thing happened when i was getting fit for my pack. i was telling the guy how many days i was going for and where. i then asked him if he thought that i could strap my unicycle on the back. he was very enthusiastic, and started telling me how to strap the wheel and pedal, and how to position the weight. he didn't even question my motives. oh well, i guess this guy has seen/heard it all. i didn't ask him why he wasn't curious or why he knew so much about it. he just filled up the pack and had me walk around the store.

I went every where in the store, i even put up a tent on one of the open spots on the floor...all while wearing my pack. it hurt so badly, but i thought i was just being weak. i hate being weak. i really only hate being weak about some things. not being able to carry a huge backpack around the store was something i didn't want to weak about. my back was killing me! i was getting a little light headed, and it wasn't long before i started feeling dehydrated. oh man, i'm not even out of the stupid store yet and i'm already not surviving. i was lucky to be in the middle of civilization.

i guess i just wasn't used to carrying around such a load i'm pretty sure the guy, overloaded it just to try and make me look weak. it gave me some comfort to know that i figured this guy out. he was playing mental games with me the whole time. when i got back to the backpack section, i thought that i would play with his mind a bit. just before he removed the weights, he ask, "how much weight do you think is in here?" i thought that i would low ball the guess to make it seem like the load was nothing to me. i was sure there was about 70lbs in there, so i guessed 20lbs. he laughed... there was 45 lbs! looking back i guess that was about right.

i bought the pack and all the other gear, and played with it all night. i was so excited that i was going to try it the next day.

No comments: