Sunday, March 25, 2007

everything is an adventure

well, friday morning and i was supposed to be out of here by 9am. i had a ton of errands to run and a meeting or two with some peeps. after my meetings were over... and fielding a couple of support calls [that's what happened when you use the company phone as your own], and picking up some stuff from work.... i finally started to moab. it was well into the 3 o'clock hour by the time i left.

off topic:
i am sitting at denny's in moab right now about 6:30am or so. i haven't been paying much attention to anyone around me, except for these three older guys complaining about software licences..... blah blah blah... anyway i just looked around and found this guy from the food channel. i don't know if you have ever seen the show where this guy travels around the world just to eat weird food. not the anthony guy... the other guy who looks a little like uncle fester. i swear that's him. i guess eating at denny's would qualify for gross and disgusting food.

back to topic;
let me give you some background info. i was supposed to hook up with my former work buddy on friday night. he left with some friends very early friday morning. since i left so late friday, i was planning to only go as far as fruita and get a hotel or something then head out to moab on sat morning. i was planning to mostly unicycle on the weekend, but mountain biking was also planned.

so friday morning when i was running my errands i get a call from my friend out in moab. he tells me that the cabins we had picked out were just closed down by the city!! wtf!!! so he was going to find some other cabins.. oh yeah...it's starting to rain. ok, a little rain never hurt anyone. my friend has a habit of bringing rain with him every where he goes, so this was probably expected.

a couple of hours later when i started heading out on the interstate, i call my friend one more time just to let him now my situation. i called him up as he answered "hello". i habitually ask how it was going. he replied "bad"..." really bad". it turned out that as they were driving around looking for a camp site they got hit by someone and now their truck is undrivable. this trip is getting off to a really good start. they weren't sure what they were going to do at that point.. and they didn't need anything from me.

so on with my drive.... i got to fruita about 9pm or so. not too bad. i could have made it to moab...but since it was raining and i wasn't sure where my friend was i thought that i should just get a motel and call it a day.

No comments: